Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sometimes, Its About the Simple Things

Tonight was all about a quiet night at home. But not until after I fight my way through one of the crazy storms we have had here in DC and made it to Best Way market in Mount Pleasant to pick up some cheap ingredients. I will be making steak fajitas for my friend Rob's birthday party. Green Peppers were $0.69 each. An entire bottle of ground cumin for $1.39. Handmade corn tortillas for $1.89 a package. Cilantro for $0.49 a bunch. Limes were ten for $1.00. You can't beat these prices in DC.

At home, I'm curled up on the couch with a movie about Chinese Americans called "Chan is Missing" and a documentary about Annie Leibowitz. With the wind howling outside and the thunder clapping, being home feels so good. For dinner, I was craving a salad that I ate quite often in Cordoba, Spain while I was visiting my best friend Caroline who was studying abroad there. The salad is simply lettuce, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, and garbonzo beans with a splash of apple cider vinegar, some sea salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. I had everything except for the garbonzo beans and the cucumber so I threw in some pieces of avocado instead. Its so simple but so delicious. Eating this salad makes me realize how important it is to have a good quality olive oil my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment