Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Have Been Targeted by Lifetime


It was Sunday night and there was nothing on TV so I decided to explore some new shows using my Comcast OnDemand service. Friends of mine recommended Burn Notice but within three seconds, I knew it was not a show I could watch. That is when I decided to try out a "Cook Yourself Thin" episode. Do you know that infomercial for the Magic Bullet? Remember the female host? Imagine her perky, annoying chatter times three. The hosts of this show just try too hard to be everyone's girl friend! The thing is (pause)...the cooking actually is pretty interesting and looks like it could be good. They made chili and used some cocoa powder in it. They made a vegetable quiche with a potato crust! I just had to make this.


The one BIG sin...they tried to make pho. I literally wanted to step into the television and scream at the host who was doing the cooking. SHE PUT SOY SAUCE IN THE BROTH! Like its some sort of Japanese Udon dish. Not only that, there was not one drop of fish sauce. It just was a cheap version of the soup and it was just too insulting. I had to turn off the television and collect myself.


Though their attempt at pho should completely turn me off from the show, I have decided to add their site to my list of recipe sites (to the right) because they do have some good recipes. Below are some of the recipes I would like to try in the near future.

Easy Herb-Roasted Chicken With Roasted Veggies
Eggplant Stacks
Sweet and Sour Pork Chops


Below is a recipe I did try and enjoyed.


Mushroom and Spinach Quiche With Potato Crust

Adapted from Cook Yourself Thin


Ingredients Purchased at Safeway, Best Way, and Costco.


1/2 pound Russet potatoes (I would try Yukon Gold if you have it), peeled and shredded ($1.29 per pound)

3 1/4 teaspoons olive oil (free from previous purchase)

1/2 teaspoon salt (free from previous purchase)

1/2 teaspoon pepper (free from previous purchase)

1/2 a medium onion, sliced ($0.29 per lb)

4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced ($2 per box)

1/2 cup of red peppers, sliced ($2.19 per lb)

1/4 cup of green peppers, sliced ($0.69 each)

5-ounce bag baby spinach ($1.25 per bag)

3 large eggs ($1.99 per dozen)

1 cup skim milk (free - stolen from roommate's stash)

2 ounces Feta Cheese ($3.49 per lb)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Lightly grease a 9-inch glass, metal, or ceramic pie dish with 1 teaspoon oil. Toss potatoes with 1 teaspoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Press into an even layer in pie dish, up the sides like a crust. Bake until golden brown at the edges and dry, about 20 minutes. Let cool.



Lower the oven to 325 degrees. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining teaspoon oil and mushrooms, peppers and cook, stirring, until vegetables release their liquid and most of the liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Add spinach and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, just until spinach wilts, about 30 seconds. Let cool slightly.



Whisk together eggs, milk and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Spread the vegetable mixture in an even layer in the pie dish, and top with an even layer of the cheese. Carefully pour in egg mixture. Bake until firm around the edges but still wobbly in the center, about 25 minutes.


Let cool, and serve warm or at room temperature.



The crust didn't turn out as crispy as I would have liked but overall, the dish is very tasty. It was kind of like eating hash browns with eggs which I love to do. I'm glad I substituted cheddar cheese with the feta because it was a nice rich, salty bite whenever you got to a portion of the quiche that had some feta in it.

The entire dish should cost you $14 or less and it serves 8 so each portion would be about $1.75. Served with a nice side salad would make for a great lunch.

1 comment:

  1. A potato crust is such a great idea! I like your blog concept...great work!

    ReplyDelete