Friday, June 19, 2009

3/50 Project

One of the goals for this blog is to highlight local DC grocery markets that are unknown. Part of me feels that this blog could end up being a little too corporate friendly and I am someone who likes to support the smaller businesses when I can. So, when I heard about the 3/50 project, I knew this was something I wanted to support.

The 3/50 project is a project that a DC boutique called Nana participates in. The objective of the project is to support local, small businesses by encouraging people to choose three small businesses in their neighborhood that they can visit regularly. For every $100 spent on those businesses, 68% of that money gets returned to the community through taxes, payroll, etc. Your money could be supporting the people you walk by everyday instead of corporate fat cats who golf in the Hamptons. Its been heart-breaking for me to see businesses such as 14U Cafe, Wild Women Wear Red Clothing Store, and Mocha Hut have to shut down.

To do my part, I am listing all the small grocery markets that I can find to the right of this blog. Please send me any markets near you that you think could use a little advertising. As I get more market suggestions, I can start listing them by neighborhoods. I will also try to visit the market and post any special items and/or bargains they may have there. A lot of the small markets will not have websites so I have been using a link to their location on Google maps or using their Yelp profile.

And please support this 3/50 project. I think that it can do a lot of good for any community.

No comments:

Post a Comment