Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fajitas made with Chicken (or London Broil)

My hope was to have some pictures of the steak fajitas we made for Rob's party but unfortunately, I left my camera at Anna's place. But since I have my camera back, I decided to replicate the fajitas recipe but with chicken thighs instead.

Adapted from Food Network recipe

Ingredients: (purchased from Safeway and Best Way)
1 lb of sliced chicken (2.49 a pound)
1/2 a green pepper ($0.69 each)
1/2 a red pepper ($2.19 a pound)
1/2 a medium onion ($0.29 a pound)

Marinade:
1 tablespoons of Adobo (free - gift from Kerri)
1/4 cup of cilantro ($0.50 a bunch)
two cloves of garlic (free from previous purchase)
one jalapeno (seeded) (free from previous purchase)
two limes (ten for $1) (I like the tang from the extra lime juice)
1/8 cup of olive oil (free from previous purchase)
1/2 tablespoon of cumin ($1.39 per bottle)

Tortillas (1 package for $1.89)
Sour Cream (free from office party. Yes...I actually took an unopened sour cream carton from a work potluck. It was unwanted, perfectly good, and it was free!)

Combine marinade ingredients in food processor.


Season chicken with salt, pepper, and Adobo seasoning. Place chicken in marinade and chill for at least two hours.

Season peppers and onions and rub with oil.

Grill the veggies in grill pan on stove top, on a real grill over some foil, or a George Foreman (which is how I grilled it) for four minutes or until onions are almost translucent.


Then grill chicken for five minutes (or until done.)



Heat tortillas on grill (or microwave) and enjoy. The fajitas are really good if you slice some avocados or add some roasted, sweet corn kernels when you wrap up the meat and veggies into the tortillas.


Total Cost: $9.64 plus tax. This meal served me, my roommate, her man, and was my lunch the next day.

***Please note that I do realize that you can see my shadow in some of the pictures and that some of the pictures are a little blurry. I promise to work on this problem.

***Please note that I was so hungry that I forgot to take a picture of the final assembled plate and that is why there is no good final picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment