Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wednesday December 2, 2009 - Sale at Safeway

Happy December! Hopefully everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I spent my Thanksgiving with some family members and a whole lot of food. For lunch, I visited my Aunt Emily in Bethesda and we made a Ribeye Roast, garlic mashed potatoes, and Brussels sprouts with bacon and figs. Knowing that I had a large turkey dinner to eat, I tried to limit myself to a very small slice of the roast but we had marinated it in garlic, salt and pepper and rubbed thyme all over it so the crust around the roast was so delcious. And it was very easy to make. The roast simply sat fat up in a 330 degree oven for 2 hours and it came out perfectly medium inside. Safeway had it on sale for $4.99 per lb so for a six pound roast, we spent about $30. Its a great option if you are having a dinner party and want to impress your guests.

My Thanksgiving dinner with my Uncle Hoan's family was an experience. How did I fit a 10 course meal after my lunch? I don't know, I just did it.

Here was our menu:

Cheese and Pate Platter
Duo of Soups - Butternut Squash with Sauteed Shrimp and Seafood Bisque
Frisee Salad with Poached Egg and Fried Pancetta
Sage Butter Turkey
Duck L'Orange
Corn Gratin
Chestnut and Sausage Stuffing
Roasted Acorn Squash with Nutmeg
Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Figs
Sweet Potato Pie with fresh Whipped Cream

It was amazing and more amazing was that I was able to walk after all that food. But I am thankful for a loving family who allowed me to celebrate with them when I'm so far away from parents.

Here are this week's deals at Safeway:

Whole Pork Shoulder Blade - $0.97 per lb
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - $1.77 per lb
Banana - $.39 per lb
Fresh Scottish Salmon Fillet (Farm Raised) - $5.99 per lb
New York Strip Steak - $4.97 per lb
Marinated Artichoke Hearts - Buy One Get One Jar
Ocean Spray Cranberry Cocktail - $1.97 per 64 oz bottle
Avocados - 4 for $5
Variety of Potatoes - $0.69 per lb

1 comment:

  1. I would like to come to your Uncle Hoan's house for Thanksgiving next year. I love Duck L'Orange and pate. And butter makes everything better, especially turkey.

    It was great talking to you last night at the HH. See you next month?

    ReplyDelete