Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - Sale at Safeway

My dad has always been a romantic guy. He would bring home flowers for my mom on Valentines day, Mother's day, Labor day...pretty much any holiday. He always adored my mom and loved cooking for her. When I was four or five years old, I remember a really special dinner my dad made for us. I don't remember if it was a holiday. I don't remember what we ate. But I remember that it was a special evening and our dinner was lit by candle light. The whole dinner just felt warm and exciting because we never ate in candle light. The meal ended and my parents allowed my brother and I to blow out one candle each. They were those tall ones that was popular during the 80s. I was so excited and stood on my tippy toes so that I could reach the right height to blow out the candles. I took a deep breath and filled my little lungs with air. My fat cheeks were round as I formed my mouth to blow out when... it happened. My face suddenly stung with heat. I screamed and backed away from the table. I didn't know what happened. I was hurt and I was confused. My mom calmed me down, cleaned my face and my bowl-cut hair, and explained. My brother blew his candle out first and blew so hard that the hot wax flew across the table and hit me. I can't remember what my brother's reaction was but knowing him (even now) he was probably snickering. And I don't think I ever got to blow out my candle.

Here are this week's Safeway specials:

Ground Beef 80% Lean - $0.99 a lb
Whole Chicken - $0.99 a lb
Tomatoes - $0.77 a lb
Braeburn Apples - $0.99 a lb
Nectarines - $0.77 a lb
Pork Loin Back Ribs - $3.99 a lb
Baby Carrots - $1.00 for a 1 lb bag
Wish Bone Salad Dressing - $0.99 a bottle

1 comment: