Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Puckered Face, Lit Up Eyes


If you follow Mrs. Wheelbarrow and OneVanillaBean on Twitter, you will know one fact; sour cherry season only lasts for a few weeks. I started to have "I am going to miss out on sour cherry season" panic attacks. It is even worse this season because I heard rumors that the weather somehow effected this year's crop so the scared little jewels of red are going to be scarce. I was determined to make one fresh cherry pie.

Lucky for me, By the White House Farmers Market brought these sour cherries to me (the market is a block away from my office.) The market is open once a week on Thursdays from 11 am to 2:30 pm. Bigg Riggs and Toigo Orchards both will have sour cherries this week.

The pie in the picture is my first cherry pie of the season. It is a mix of fresh, pitted sour cherries and canned Dark Morello Cherries from Trader Joes. I used Mrs. Wheelbarrow's sour cherry pie filling recipe, baked it at 350F for 1 hour and let it rest for one hour before cutting into it. Just a be sure to pit the cherries well. Marshall almost broke a tooth biting into this pie. #sorry!!!

2 comments:

  1. I got sour cherries last week in my farm share, and more are coming tomorrow, so this could not have come at a more perfect time!
    How did you use the Trader Joe's cherries - in the Mrs. Wheelbarrow recipe, or added to the finished pie filling before putting it in the crust?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wannabe PieMaker - I only had about 3 cups worth of sour cherries so I just added the jar of cherries in (after I drained out the juice.) It was probably more than I needed but how can we go wrong with more cherries? :)

    ReplyDelete