Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 - Sale at Safeway


Reading through food blogs and talking to my friends, I'm finding that everything is about pot roast, beef stew, and root vegetables. These are signs of autumn to me. Its time to pull out the crock pot from storage and start making some hearty soups. Safeway has Boneless Beef Chuck Pot Roast on sale for a $1.99 a lb this week. Here are some delicious recipes where this cut of beef could be of use:

Crock Pot Pot Roast
Parker's Beef Stew
Triple "B" Stew
Pot Roast
Company Pot Roast
Tyler's Texas Chili

Here are this week's Safeway specials:

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or Thighs - $1.68 per lb
Boneless Beef Chuck Roast - $1.99 per lb

(I am interrupting this list of deals because I thought it might be important to share this New York Times article about ground beef. This article (and watching Food Inc) has convinced me that its time to start grinding my own meat. Unfortunately, I don't have a Kitchen Aid with a meat grinder attachment but Adventures in Shaw sent me this article about grinding meat in a food processor. Using brisket or chuck are good cuts because they tend to have a bit of fat in them which is GREAT for tasty burgers. Ok...on with the deals)

Top Sirloin Steak - $3.99 per lb
Beef Eye Round Roast - $2.99 per lb (great to use to make Pho)
Asparagus - $1.99 per lb
Whole Boneless Pork Tenderloin - $2.99 per lb
Pears - $1.49 per lb
Broccoli - $1.49 per lb
Yams - $0.99 per lb (this is a sure sign that is it Fall)

Please note that each Safeway location is different. Please check Safeway.com to see your local specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment